The arrival of a new baby is always hugely exciting but finding the right gift to buy can be very overwhelming. There are so many options nowadays that there is almost too much choice, and it can be difficult to find something both useful and personal, that the new parents do not already have enough of.
Of course, most parents will be grateful for any kind of help and the thought behind a gift is very important too, but it is always nice to hear ‘this is just what we needed!’
It’s also not necessary to break the bank in order to find the perfect gift and, as long as you keep the needs of baby and parents in mind, your money will be well spent. Here are some ideas for gifts that are guaranteed to go down well:
- Baby clothes – Clothes are always an excellent option for new babies, but it helps to go in knowing what you’re looking for. If you don’t know the baby’s gender, neutrals are always an excellent option. You also need to know the size of clothes that you’re looking for: the little one will grow very quickly, so go bigger if you’re unsure, but premature newborns need specially sized clothes. Some of the clothing options available include:
- Blankets/comforters – Every baby needs a good blanket! There are countless options in terms of fabric, but fleece is a very popular choice, and many come with extra features like tactile tags which give the baby something to hold and play with.
- Bibs, towels and muslin cloths – A new parent can never have enough of these! These might seem like a boring gift idea, but they will definitely be used and appreciated. Furthermore, bibs can come with lots of fun designs and patterns, or slogans that are guaranteed to get a laugh out of the parents!
- Toiletries – Who doesn’t love to receive some nice soaps as a gift? There’s a huge range of shampoos, bubble baths, moisturisers, and even laundry detergents, which are specially formulated for babies. Look for fragrance-free and hypoallergenic products and go organic where possible. You could even make your own bath-time set – wrap up some baby products with a towel and a nice fluffy dressing gown!
- Your time – If you’re convinced that the new parents have absolutely everything they could ever need, they will still definitely appreciate the offer of some babysitting or grocery shopping. Ultimately, a gift for a newborn baby is also a gift for the parents and, while they are adjusting to their new normal, they are going to appreciate all the help that they can get. Let them know that you’re around to help out if they need it.